From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 22:25:12 EDT

Ruth E. Pope <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>[Kraft] said they "do take this issue very seriously, and a
>team of research experts from several departments are looking at ways they
>might provide gluten sensitive individuals with useful and accurate
>information."

Actually, I have been working with Kraft for several months on this
project and can report that it has the attention of the highest level
officers within Kraft (a friend of mine helped me start the project
through his contacts with those officers).  Kraft had asked me to hold
off writing about the project on our listserv until they had concluded
their work, but since they have told Ruth about it, I thought I would
officially disclose it.

Ruth concluded:

>I would like to encourage everyone to e-mail them requesting that they
>acutally do this.  Maybe if they get enough requests for it something will
>happen.

While it would not hurt for people to write to Kraft in support of their
project, please keep your emails respectful.  Kraft already knows -- at
the highest levels -- that they are perceived by celiacs as somewhat
surly and insensitive to our issues.  They also know that other major
food companies have gone much further than they have in developing GF lists.

Bill Elkus
Co-Listowner, CELIAC List at St. Johns