From:
"Laura B." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura B.
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:49:48 -0400

Maybe we are making some progress...

Our local Starbucks told me today that they are starting to carry GF Peanut
Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.  But the manager told me that the product
isn't labeled GF - but the ingredients seem to be GF.

Now, before everyone gets too excited - please read:

They are putting these cookies in the display case with all the other Gluten
Goodies - so there is a risk of gluten cross contact.

I reviewed the nutrional information online.  There are artificial flavorings.

So, I called Starbucks customer service (800) 235-2883 and asked them:

1.  Could they verify that this product is in fact GF?  (Artificial Flavors)
2.  Could they please verify that there is no issue for manufacturing cross
contact?
3.  If the cookie is in fact Gluten Free - could they please inform the stores
about proper handling practices to prevent gluten cross contact?

The customer service person I talked to was extremely friendly and helpful.
He spoke with his supervisor and they will check into this.  They thought that
informing the stores of proper handling practices would be a good idea.  I even
suggested that they package each cookie separately and keep it packaged or
just put 1 cookie on display and keep the others separated in a cooler with
special handling instructions for the employees.  Obviously the safest way
would be special packaging.

He promised to call back.

If I get an answer - I'll post it.  If anyone else gets more information - please
post as well.

Regards,
Laura