Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 20:03:15 EST

Thank you to the dozen or so people who offered to help write letters
regarding the FDA allowing ingredients of unknown origin.  I am still trying
to figure out who has the power to change policy and how to get their
attention.  I'll let you know!  There is another individual who is working to
get soy identified on food labels.  They have set up a website that includes a
notice from the FDA (1996) addressing allergenic substances and food labels.
The URL is www.geocities.com/HotSprings/4620  (Thanks for the info Carol!)
The site is being moved, so if you have trouble use a search engine with the
entry "soy".

I emailed the author of the FDA notice at [log in to unmask] to ask the status
of allergens on food labels.  The response came from John W. Gordon, Science
Policy Analyst, (202) 205-5140, a portion of which as follows:

"...Dr. Shank's letter of June 10, 1996 is still the agency's official
position on allergens..."

"...If your concern is that an allergen maybe associated with modified food
starch, we think that possibility is unlikely.  The chemical processing that
takes place in the manufacture of a modified food starch makes it very
unlikely that any protein normally associated with allergenicity would be
left..."

So, it appears that the FDA has bad information.  Please, can someone from the
list with a medical background help me tell them?  I know that modified food
starch has made my daughter sick and that she is fine with corn starch but I
worry that my experience is not enough.

If you desire, the FDA can fax you a copy of the applicable regulations.  The
fax your request to (202) 205-5025.

I'll keep you posted--
Kristin, Texas