Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 01:11:49 EDT

My question regarding how a Celiac child will be able to handle life away at
college brought too many responses to count !  I would love to thank you all
personally for the wonderful information and support but it would take me a
month.  You know who you are, and I thank you all.  It has really put my mind
at ease.

I received responses from people living in, or going to college in Wisconsin,
Indiana, Virginia, Washington D.C., Illinois, Ontario, New York, Montana,
California, Connecticut, Massachesetts, New Jersey, Maine, and Michigan.  If I
have left anyone out, I apologize.

Here is a summary of suggestions for helping your Celiac child adjust to
living away at school:

1. Choose a small school (2-5 thou.)- more intimate relationship with staff.
2. Mid-sized school best-too large is impersonal; too small there is limited
food selection.
3. Meet with chef every week to go over menu.
4. Provide college food service with lots of literature.
5. Keep small refrigerator in room, also microwave and/or toaster.
6. Store items in cafeteria walk-in freezer.
7. Be assertive-ask for things and be willing to educate.
8. Get own apartment. Some colleges will allow freshmen this priviledge due to
dietary restrictions.
9. Request dorm with kitchenette. They are required to allow this since Celiac
is a medically diagnosed disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act
(ADA).
10. Flexible meal plan- 7,14, or 20 meals per week. Eat what you can in
cafeteria and cook in room.
11. Get doctor's note stating required needs, e.g. access to own cooking or
request for a specific dorm.
12. Make sure the student is well informed regarding her disease and diet and
can cook.
13. Request dorm near eating facilities on campus so there are a variety of
places to choose from.
14. Get friends involved.
15. Live at home and commute.
16. Speak with manager of food services before applying.
17. Make needs known to school-back up with a letter from doctor.
18. Write a letter requesting what provisions the college has and what the
student needs.  Include Celiac information and diet restrictions.  Make copies
and send to prospective colleges.
19. Visit school and question staff and administration (Dean of Student
Services).  Get appointments in writing before the visit.
20. Talk with counselor for students with disabilities.
21. May need a car for food shopping at a large campus.
22. Meet with food service/dietician/medical staff/disabilities coordinator.
Contract food service companies may be required to provide any medically
necessary diet at no cost.
23. Under ADA, schools receiving federal money are requied to meed Celiac
needs.
24. Network with others through campus dietician.

Once again, thank you all so much for your information and support

Jane in CA