From:
Pat Pollak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Pollak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 07:02:31 -0500

Following are some answers to my question regarding stores in the Plano,
TX area whcih carry gf food. They pretty much summarize them all. Thanks
to all who took the time to respond.
1. Please check the website for the local Dallas celiac support group at
www.dfwceliac.org and you'll find a whole listing of places to eat and
shop.
2.I live in the Plano area. The best place for GF food is Whole Foods,
they carry the Vans waffles. They have pancakes, chicken nugget, pizza,
cookies, crackers, tv dinners, mixes and other gluten free goodies. They
are located at Park and Preston.
Central Market has some gluten free items as well, just not as many. They
have the vans waffles there and some mixes. They are located on George
Bush Freeway and Coit Road.
Most Kroger's here have a natural food sections that has a good selection
of waffles, pancakes, cereals, some bread.
As far as Whole Foods they are supposed to get an in house Gluten Free
bakery soon, I will email you when I hear they have opened if you would
like me too.
3. Try Family Health Market in Frisco, at Preston and Lebanon
(SW corner). They carry a large selection of GF foods, including
some great Kinnikinnick breads, Schär crackers, etc..
Kroger in West Plano (Parker and the Tollway) carries Van's waffles.
They also carry many GF mixes.
For some of the flours that I cannot find at Kroger and Family
Health Market, I go to Whole Foods at Preston and Park.
4. The HEB's in Houston, San Angelo and HEB Marketplace in San Antonio are
carrying gluten free foods.  Have bought Bob's Red Mill GF baking mix &
bread mix there.  The bread mix makes a wonderful soft bread that keeps
well.  Yes, it has the taste & texture of bread... not compacted saw
dust.  You have to really read the labels; they have some low-carb cold
cereals that don't contain wheat, rye, barley or malt/malt flavoring.
They carry some Amy's Dinners, too.   Looks like this may be chain wide.
But if they don't have GF foods in Plano your brother should talk to the
manager.  Since they're available at at least three other HEB stores, the
Plano store should be able to stock them.
Albertson's here in San Angelo carries a couple of Amy's Dinners.  And Wal-
Mart carries Bob's Red Mill Soy Flour and Oat Bran Flour.  The Oat Bran
Flour makes an excellent chicken fried steak, fried chicken, and cream
gravy.  Like 'em better made with it than the white flour that they're
normally made with.
Whole Foods Market carries a bigger variety of GF foods.  There aren't
many of those stores, but surely there's at least one in the Dallas area.
5. Was shopping yesterday at the HEB's (grocery store chain in Texas).
This
store has a healthfood area. I was looking at some GF cookie products
(shame
on me!), when an associate offered to help.  Explained was trying to peruse
the GF products.  She showed me next aisle where they had Pamela's Cookies
(just a few) but were bringing in the line of Ener-G foods along with other
items. I like Amy's GF meals.  You will note I like prepared things -- I
take to work and such. I do not have time to cook and bake during week.
Only cook some on W/E. So finding some products that are organic and GF are
important to me.  She said this HEB's was trying to expand GF products --so
let them know if you are from area.