From:
Deb Beausoleil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 10:19:47 EST

Thanks to all who responded to my question about 6 specific cholesterol meds.
 I've learned that I cannot tolerate statin cholesterol meds so that let's
off a lot of possibilities.  Some of you provided me with pharmaceutical
manufacturer names for the drugs I asked about along with phone numbers - the
others I found on the net.  First, I'll provide a summary of what I learned
in my phone calls/searches and I'll follow with the summaries of fellow
list-mates.  Thanks again for all your help.  I'll be bringing all this
information with me when I see the doctor tomorrow.

Welchol - Mfg is Sankyo - Phone #877-472-6596.  Gluten-free but not
recommended for patients with motility problems - very binding, according to
pharmacist.

Zetia - Mfg is Merck - no generics

Niaspan - Kos Pharmaceuticals - Phone #305-512-7000.  No generics

Questran - BMS-PC is mfg.  It does have a generic and according to the
Walgreen's in my area, the generic type depends on which warehouse that they
get their supply from.  As of 3/28/03, Apothecon is their supplier.  It is
not recommended for people with motility problems - very binding.

Tricor - Abbott Labs - no generic - Phone #800-633-9110 or 800-441-4987.
There is wheat in both milligram dosages according to pharmacist at Abbott
Labs.
######################################
And now the summaries from list-mates (thank you!)

Here is what I do when I don't know if a drug is gluten free.  Ask the
druggist for the 800 number of the company that you wish to find out if it
the drug is GF.  By law, they have a book in the pharmacy with this
information.  You can also get the number from the insert in the drug
package.  Call the number and ask to talk to a doctor-pharmacist.  Don't take
any run around!  When you get a doctor-pharmacist, tell them that you have
celiac disease and cannot have gluten.  Give them the name of the drug (spell
it) and ask if this drug has gluten in it.  They will give you the answer.
######################################
I too am considering Cholesterol lowering drugs and was told of the side
effects of the drugs of type "statins".  Zetia is not of this type and from
its web site (www.zetia.com) its list of inactive ingredients are:
Croscarmellose sodium, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate,
microcrystalline cellulose, povidone, and sodium lauryl sulfate. There
appears to be no gluten.  However, since Zetia is not of type statins it
works differently, apparently.  It stops the absorption of cholesterol in the
intestines.  Since there are very few side effects it sounds like a good
option, however, it does work on the villi in the intestines and so I would
want to know if
its OK for celiacs, given its mode of operation.  My doctor knows very little
about celiacs and so I will need to do some research before I start taking
this medicine.  If your doctor has better information, please let us know
######################################
 also had a bad reaction to Lipitor, and my doctor wanted to put me on
Pravachol instead.  I am hypothyroid, and I first got my thyroid medication
corrected (higher dosage), which helped bring the cholesterol down some.  I
was told that if my thyroid was out of whack, the cholesterol would never get
any better.

After that, I started on two products recommended by a naturopath, Jarrow
Policosanol (the Jarrow brand is GF, they may all be GF, but I only know
about that one) and a liver cleanse/support product called Vitalipotropic.  I
decided to try this before going back to my GP, just to see what the impact
was.  My cholesterol had gone down 20 points in 3 weeeks, when I was tested
again.  So I haven't had to go back on anything like Lipitor.
######################################
Chinese Red Yeast , which you can get in a health food store, is proven to be
as effective as or even better than the meds listed and does not stress out
liver or kidneys, which are the problems with the meds.  Cholestrol goes up
when your body is under stress...like being celiac and consuming gluten.  My
pharmacist told me that three things are linked..when chol is up, so are
blood sugar and blood pressure.  Interesting, no?
######################################
I've taken Mevicor and Zocor with success.
######################################
Zocor is listed as GF from a list I obtained at a GIG conference this past
summer of gluten free medications by a doctor of Phamacology.  It was also
recommended today by my doctor.
######################################
Why can't you  go to a fitness center seven days a week that will put your
cholesterol down and the good up, I do not eat and I have great cholesterol
######################################
Most of those drugs you mentioned all have the same side effects. You can get
them up to 2 months after starting. I can't take any of them. 2 of my friends
who are not celiacs have problems too.  Very sorry about this.
######################################
If I were you I would call the companies myself. I've had good luck doing
this. The glutenfreedrugs.com list is now very, very old and outdated. I no
longer trust it any more than I would an old food list. Go straight to the
source -- call the companies. This is too important.
######################################
I take Questran to control microscopic colitis and not for the
cholesterol-reducing effects. Questran is very binding - it controls my
colitis, but probably makes lots of people constipated!
######################################
From a search at www.rxlist.com

WelChol™ is an off-white, film-coated, >solid</A> >tablet</A> containing 625 >mg</A>
colesevelam. >In</A> addition, each >tablet</A> contains the following inactive
ingredients: magnesium stearate, >microcrystalline</A> cellulose, and >silicon</A>
dioxide. The tablets are imprinted using a water-soluble >black</A> ink.

ZETIA is available as a tablet for oral administration containing 10 mg of
ezetimibe and the following inactive ingredients: croscarmellose sodium NF,
lactose monohydrate NF, magnesium stearate NF, microcrystalline cellulose NF,
povidone USP, and sodium lauryl sulfate NF.
NIASPAN® (niacin extended-release tablets), contain niacin, a B-complex >
vitamin</A> and antihyperlipidemic agent. Niacin (nicotinic acid, or
3-pyridinecarboxylic acid) is a white, >crystalline</A> powder, very >soluble</A> in
water.It has the following molecular >formula</A> C6H5NO2 with a molecular >weight</A>
of 123.11.NIASPAN® is an unscored, off-white >tablet</A> for >oral</A> >administration</A>
that contains no >color</A> additives and is available in three >tablet</A> strengths
containing 500, 750, and 1000 >mg</A> niacin. NIASPAN® tablets also contain the
inactive ingredients methylcellulose, povidone, and stearic acid.

Gemfibrozil is a lipid regulating agent. It is available as tablets for oral
administration. Each >tablet</A> contains 600 mg gemfibrozil. Each also contains
calcium stearate; candelilla >wax</A> FCC; >microcrystalline</A> cellulose;
hydroxypropyl cellulose; hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, USP; methylparaben,
NF; Opaspray white; >polyethylene</A> glycol; polysorbate 80; propylparaben;
colloidal >silicon</A> dioxide; pregelatinized starch. The chemical name is 5-
(2,5-dimethylphenoxy)-2,2-dimethylpentanoic acid.

Website also has list of side effects and contra-indications for taking the
drugs.
Has your doctor check you levels for folate and homocysteine.  Low folate can
cause high levels of homocysteine which can cause elevated cholesterol.  You
can find articles about that at www.medscape.com Search for homocysteine.

It's interesting that one of the meds mentions contains niacin, a B vitamin.
######################################
I do not know anything about the list you have, but can tell you that my
Doctor put me on the following cholesterol lowering medicine: CHOLESTURAMINE
for Oral Suspension USP 4 grams. It lowered my cholesterol and helped control
the diarrhea I had as a result of not knowing that I was Celiac. It worked
for me. This maybe a similar type to one of the items on your list, I don't
know, I just know it helped me.

I will also tell you that I have participated in a test to lower cholesterol
sponsored by Quaker Oats. I had Oats for breakfast 6 days a week for 4 weeks
and lowered my cholesterol 30 points in the 4 week test period. I did not
have any adverse effect by consuming oats everyday.
CELIAC SPRUE: A GUIDE THROUGH THE MEDICINE CABINET says lopid is NOT gf
(Pfizer US Pharaceuticals Group 800 223 0432), niaspan is gf (Kos
Pharmaceuticals,Inc. 305 512 7000), and welchol and zetia are not listed
(must be new).