From:
Mary Kretzmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Kretzmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:32:42 -0800

Dear Celiac Friends,

I have been GF for almost three years, and things are generally going well.  However, today my doctor diagnosed me with asthma. (I've been having lung problems for several months now.)

I checked www.celiac.com for any listings on asthma, and didn't see much, but I did see that "Bird Fancier's Lung" was on the list of "Diseases Probably Associated with Celiac Disease." I did a search on the web to learn more, and I will discuss it with my doctor when I go back for a check-up in two weeks. It can be very similar to asthma.

My son keeps two finches in our family room - a room we use all the time. Do any of you celiacs have this disease? Anyway, have you heard of any one catching this from two tiny birds? I guess anything is possible.

We got the birds shortly after I was diagnosed with celiac....I was hypersensitive to many things then. That winter  - I did have a cough for about three months - so I wonder. However, we have had the birds this whole time since then and I was okay last winter.
We also have chickens - but my husband and son do most of their care.

Thanks for listening.

Sincerely,

Mary Kretzmann
California