Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:06:45 -0800

I had posted a response from Russell Stover (Wed, 10 Sep 2003) concerning the gluten-free status of their candies.

"To the best of our knowledge, the only products we manufacture which may contain gluten are several of our molded pieces with cookie bits included into the molded chocolate. This would be clearly indicated on the ingredient label as containing ‘wheat’.”

However, I got a responses saying that Russell Stover has problems with cross-contamination:

“Because they do put wheat in some of their candy and as long as they do their is flour in the air and on their machinery and washing this down doesn't take care of the problem therefore cross-contamination results and this is with any company that produces food. some as you notice on this list say they are not so sensitive sooooooo a little poison doesn't hurt ? but later on it will one can count on this.”

So, use your own discretion with these products.

As a follow-up to this issue, could you give me your own experiences with this company, including whether or not you trust them? I’ll summarize.

Angela Taylor (Tulsa, Oklahoma)