From:
Steigelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steigelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:15:46 -0700

Hi Listies,

I wrote my senators and received this positive (personal, now edited)
response from Sen. Feinstein. I encourage everyone to contact your senators
... we need senators from all 50 states to support us!

Christine in So. California

Dear ...

    Thank you for writing me about the labeling of foods containing
potentially dangerous
allergens.  I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

    The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) currently requires that
manufacturers list all
ingredients in a product on its label.  However in certain circumstances the
FDA does not require
that trace amounts of foods be listed.  This can occur when the food item is
the sub-ingredient of
a spice, flavor, or color.  This also may be the result of contamination
from other products being
made in same factory with the same equipment.  Unfortunately, as little as
one five-thousandth of
a teaspoon of an allergen can cause a dangerous reaction in certain people.

    It is imperative that consumers be able to rely on manufacturers to
accurately label food
products.  It is particularly important for individuals with food allergies
that products are properly
labeled.  I agree that any legislation that comes before the Senate on this
issue deserves serious
consideration.

    Once again, I appreciate you writing me regarding this issue.  If you
have any questions or
comments please contact my Washington, D.C. staff at (202) 224-3841.

              Sincerely yours,

              Dianne Feinstein
              United States Senator

http://feinstein.senate.gov