From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 21:30:22 -0400

[log in to unmask] wrote:

> I saw a recent posting for Teff pancakes.  What is teff?

The following information comes from the GRAINS file, which is one of
the reference files you can get from the CELIAC list.  This information
was provided by Don Kasarda, a research chemist with the United States
Department of Agriculture who specializes in grain proteins:

K> Certain cereal grains, such as various millets, sorghum, teff, ragi,
K> and Job's tears are close enough in their genetic relationship to
K> corn to make it likely that these grains are safe for celiac patients
K> to eat.  However, significant scientific studies have not been
K> carried out for these latter grains.

To obtain the GRAINS file, send a message to [log in to unmask]
containing this line:

   GET CELIAC GRAINS CELIAC

There have also been several posts to the list in the past about teff.
All of the previous posts to the list are automatically saved in a
series of archive files.  It is possible to do a "database search"
against these archives and return only the posts which contain a
specific word such as "teff".  Normally, you would also specify a date
range so that you don't get too much back.  (The list has been in
existence nearly two years now, and there are a LOT of previous posts.)
For example, to get all the 1996 posts which contain the word "teff",
send a message to [log in to unmask] containing these lines:

   //JOB
   DATABASE SEARCH DD=Data
   //Data DD *
   Search teff in celiac since 96/1/1
   print all
   // eoj

You will get back a single message containing (in this case) about 20
ensure that the search is successful.  Capitalization doesn't matter;
"teff", "Teff", and "TEFF" will all be found.

You can leave out the "since 96/1/1" part if you really want to get
ALL the previous posts containing teff.  Or if you want just the posts
for the first nine months of this year replace "since 96/1/1" with
"from 96/1/1 to 96/9/30".

These examples should enable you to search the database for any specific
word, for any period of time.  Just replace "teff" with the desired
word and change the dates accordingly.

Jim Lyles ........ <[log in to unmask]> ........ Holly, Michigan, USA