From:
Christie Priem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 13:32:32 -0700

I have already been taught a great deal by those of you who know more about
vinegar than I do.  It turns out vinegar isn't just grain vs cider vinegar,
but can be made from lots of other stuff, too.  So maybe the vinegar produced
by Wishbone's suppliers isn't made from a grain at all.  Could be made from
corn, wood, or even petroleum!

To clarify, I wasn't about to harass the company.  I was simply under the
impression that vinegar is most of the time made from grains and I have heard
of Celiacs who react to tiny amounts of gluten in things that scientists say
are gluten-free.  So I am not sure those tests are valid for assessment.  I
know there have been discussions on the list in the past about breads which
are "gluten-free" but use quinoa or spelt, and I meant to liken this to that.

I understand that my job as a consumer is to make these decisions myself,but
was wondering if perhaps it would help companies to know that come Celiacs
consider certain products unsafe, while others don't.

And to clarify again: I am very, very nice on the phone and I wouldn't call a
company just to complain that they aren't more accomodating.  All companies I
have ever called on this issue were very polite and knew what gluten was.

I've been very impressed.