From:
"Donald D. Kasarda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 12:40:12 PST

I thank Beverly Sokulsky for her comments and explanations.

I do have a number of reservations about various aspects of what Mr. Howarth
has said.  I don't have time to go into great detail, but some of my past
postings are pertinent.  I shall just make a few comments.

1.  I don't think there is any analytical method that meaningfully and
accurately measures harmful proteins or peptides (they are not always the
same) on starch or in other foods at the 0.02 gram per kilogram level.  So
it seems to me that to base a regulation on that number is rather arbitrary.

2.  I don't think there is any evidence that gluten at the 0.02 gram per
kilogram level causes increased incidence of cancer in celiac patients and
some evidence to the contrary.

As always, I emphasize that we do not have as much scientific information as
we would like, and people may choose validly not to risk ingesting any food
that might in any way be contaminated with gluten (which carried to an
obviously absurd extreme would cause one to give up food).  I am, however,
frequently disturbed by the way arbitrary decisions and pronouncements by
various people become accepted by the celiac community as based on valid
scientific results.  I ocasionally try to point out when statements made are
invalid or go beyond what may reasonably be inferred from the scientific
work that has been done so far. Of course, new information is being
developed continually--as in the case of oats.  What was considered
scientific fact some years ago must give way to new (usually better)
experimental evidence. I assume that almost everyone on this list would
prefer to start with valid information from which to proceed to sometimes
necessarily arbitrary decisions about his or her diet and behavior.

Don Kasarda, Albany, California