From:
VanLoozenoord, Joan K <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 20:21:13 -0700

Thanks for all the information.  I have received 24 responses so far to my
query about my experience making corn tortillas for the first time.  I
certainly know a lot more about it.  The comments fell into several
categories.  I hope I have done a satisfactory job of paraphrasing and
summarizing everyone's comments.

Thanks again to everyone who emailed me!

Joan Van Loozenoord
Denver, Colorado

Here's my original inquiry:

I know that there are gluten-free corn tortillas available, but I don't like
the taste of all of those preservatives that most manufacturers add.

Last night I tried making corn tortillas from scratch for the first time.  I
just used corn flour (masa) and water.  The dough was the right consistency
to roll out without sticking.  First, I tried using a plastic Tupperware mat
and a rolling pin.  After doing 2 tortillas, the dough started sticking to
the rolling pin.  Next, I rolled the dough between two pieces of wax paper.
That worked pretty well.  The only problem is that I could not get them as
thin as I wanted to.  I cooked them on a Teflon (ungreased) griddle and then
made quesadillas with them.  It tasted good, but the tortillas were too
thick for my preferences.

Has anyone else made corn tortillas?  I'm wondering about investing in a
tortilla press or electric tortilla maker.  I really liked the taste of the
fresh tortillas, but would like them thinner.  Also it did take quite a bit
of time to roll each one out by hand, not to mention the tediousness of
carefully separating each one from the wax paper without tearing the dough.
It made we wonder how people made them hundreds of years ago (like the
Aztecs).  They must have just rolled them out on a smooth stone.

Any ideas?

Here is the summary:

1.  Subject: To buy a tortilla press or not
Many people recommended that I invest in either a mannual tortilla press or
an electric tortilla maker that presses and cooks.  Several people mentioned
that the tortilla needs to be turned several times while it is cooking.  The
electric maker cooks on the bottom only, unlike a waffle maker.

2.  Subject:  How to mix the ingredients
Several mentioned that they use a food processor to mix the masa harina and
warm water.

3.  Subject:  How to keep the dough from sticking while forming into
tortillas
**********
Place walnut size piece of dough in the middle of a folded piece of wax
paper and press.  Then, peel off one side of the wax paper, flip the
tortilla into the pan and peel off the other side of paper.
**********
Use rice,corn or other gluten-free flour on surface before rolling out
dough.  Keep turning the tortilla after each roll.
**********
Use a wooden or marble cutting board to roll out dough on.
**********
"I used plastic wrap above and below, and could just peel it off and place
each one in the skillet."
**********
"Put ball of dough between two pieces of plastic wrap,and press it with a
glass pie pan."
**********
"Lots of lard...that's how.  Not really recommended these days, but they
sure didn't stick."
**********
"Separate the dough into separate balls and take one ball out of the
refrigerator at a time to roll out to prevent sticking."

4.  Subject:  Methods used by ancient Aztecs, and still used today in some
areas
**********
From Barry:
"The traditional way of making tortillas is that mamacita takes a ball of
dough and pats it out into a thin circle with her hands, sort of like
making hand-spun pizza dough, but on a smaller scale.  She gets wonderful
results because she's been doing three dozen a day, every day, for 30
years."
**********
Several people mentioned that the dough is worked between the two palms.
They were thicker than the ones we buy.
**********

5.  Other ideas:
**********
Make smaller tortillas (1/6th of regular size) for chips.
**********
"The consistency of your dough will change with each batch of masa and with
the weather. It will be easier to control a small (4 inch?) tortilla until
you get a feel for your dough."
**********
Several mentioned using the press or tortilla maker for rice tortillas (to
substitute for wheat tortillas) as well as corn.  One person said that the
corn tortillas hold together better.
**********
Some press the dough a few times for each tortilla, instead of just once.
**********
"A pasta roller might work, too, and do double duty if you ever do want to
make pasta."
**********

6.  Subject:  Buy fresh tortillas without the preservatives.
Many lucky people have lived in areas where they can get good, fresh (and
gluten-free, I presume) corn tortillas.  If I could do that, I probably
would not try to make them.

Guatemala, Mexico, Idaho and California were mentioned.

7.  Subject:  Price range
Also from Barry: "I found one inline just now for under $20 (and one for
about $150,000, but it cooks them too and makes 32,400 tortillas an hour...I
*think* that's more than you or I can eat in a year!)"

8.  Subject:  Ingredients
**********
Instant Corn Masa Mix ( ingredients: specially ground and dehydrated whole
kernel corn and lime. no preservatives)
**********
Many use masa harina.
**********

9.  Subject:  Specific brand of tortilla presses and pans:
"Vintantonio brand electric press found on the internet - via Bosch Kitchen
Center out of Salt Lake City. @ $65.  Lots of people told me there was
another brand at I think website for Chef's Catalog. Less expensive."
"I bought a round cast-iron griddle at Target recently, and do like it very
much!"
"I bought one of the cheap, heavy tortilla presses at a local store that
sells a lot of Mexican-oriented stuff."