From:
Saskia Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 20:46:50 EST

Dear listmates,

I have a question about my chart for my anti gliadin antibody blood test
(taken by Unilab in CA), which I was able to obtain in advance before speaking
to my doctor about it.....I want to find out now, understandably!

It says:

ESR-Westergren 3,   reference 0-20,  units  mm/hr
Gliadin antibody IGG < 10
IGA < 10
reference < 10, <10 respectively.
EIA Units.

I highly suspect that this means it is totally normal (there was nothing in
the "out of range" column.)  I hope that someone can help me answer this
before I speak with my GI.  I like to know what is going on, what my options
are, and things that could have gone wrong before I speak to him because I
like to feel that I can intelligently discuss things with him (he said, in
response to me saying I thought celiac was one possiblity "but you are not
underwieght" As a result of some of the overweight awareness I've read lately
I was able to correct him, and scold him a little for not considering all the
options.)  I know there are several factors to consider in assessing whether a
biopsy is necessary.

Also, I was gf (yes, rather stupid of me) about 1.5 weeks before the test ( I
told my GI this and he didn't think anything of it).  But I have heard both
sides: that this could make it invalid, and also that the antibody is always
present.  I am rather at a loss and confused by all the information I've been
reading.

Should I go on gluten for a while and have the test retaken (is this a "gluten
challenge"? ) or just assume I am most likely not celiac, and just keep on my
gf diet because it is the only way I feel healthy? THe main problem being that
my throat closes when I ingest wheat, although I can tolerate the other gluten
grains a bit better.

Please, any advice is welcome.

Thank you very much,

Saskia