From:
Bev Messner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bev Messner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 17:17:27 -0500

I just received the CSA Lifeline, winter 2003 issue.  In the back is a recipe for Chocolate Chip Applesauce Cake....which I followed TO THE LETTER....yet it failed.   Now I need someone to tell me why.

I live in Ohio.   I put it in the correct sized pan.  As it was baking, the sides were overflowing.  I baked it the 35 minutes and took it out.....most because the sides looked nasty and it was burning on the bottom on the oven.   It was still totally moist and sunken in the middle.  In other words, a disaster.  Seems every time I try a recipe, this type of thing happens.     And why was it overflowing over the sides when the pan was the right size??

I just did a chocolate cake recipe this weekend with much the same results.   Seems, for one thing, that the baking times are never enough, but leaving them in seems to result in terribly dry cakes.

Anyone with any ideas??   Perhaps I should give up cake pans and go to cupcakes???   Maybe I should just give up baking.   This disaster was bad enough to just toss out.   Usually I can manage to make do on some.

Thanks for your help.

Bev
Mansfield, Ohio