From:
Diana Day <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diana Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:25:55 -0400

As someone who tried the SCDiet earlier this year, I want to caution
anyone who wants to go on it. I know the Austin SCD friends group posts
regular notices of their meetings here.

This is an extremely restrictive diet, far more so than going
gluten-free. It requires hours of preparation time in the kitchen. Those
who go on it will lose what may be a frightening amount of weight
initially. I understand that your weight eventually stabilizes, but I
was already at my minimum weight, and seeing my weight fall off day by
day was scary.

The worst thing that happened to me, however,  was that I developed low
blood sodium and ended up in an emergency room with high blood pressure
and irregular heart beats as a result. I am a vegetarian and was used to
getting salt in my diet from canned beans and other vegetables. I also
used to get salt from potato chips and so on, which were "illegal" on
the diet.

Nothing in all the literature I read (which was considerable) about SCD
cautioned me about the possibility of this happening.

I would only recommend this diet to someone with Crohn's Disease,
Ulcerative Colitis, Celiac with intestinal damage or other severe
intestinal problems, and then only under the strict supervision of a
doctor who understands the SCDiet. The best source of information I've
seen on it is http://www.ccfa.org/about/news/scd

This is from the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America, and offers a
well-rounded perspective. I know the SCDiet has been very helpful to
people with severe problems, but it is not something to be entered into
lightly.

*******
*******