From:
Ian Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 15:43:02 -0500

Dear fellow listmembers,

Thanks for all the wonderful help (as usual) regarding my daughter's case
of pink eye.  I will summarize my findings.

She went to the doctor who prescribed Tobrex eye drops.  I went to the
pharmacy and had the pharmacist call the company to make sure they were GF.
They are.  It cleared up rather quickly.

Most people said to go to the doctor and get eye drops.

Some people said to use warm wet compresses to clear away the mucus that
accumulates overnight, being careful not to use the same wash cloth on both
eyes.  This will prevent affecting the other eye.  Also to wash all
bedding, towels and clothes in hot water everyday until the infection is
gone to prevent spreading to other members of the family.

Some people recommended that I call Stokes pharmacy to check on the
prescription.  They have a listing called Celiac Sprue - A Guide Through
the Medicine Cabinet for $19 plus shipping of GF medicines and
prescriptions and pharmaceutical companies.  I purchased it and it is very
helpful.  Their number is 1 (800) 754-5222.

Someone told me that there are two types of pink eye, bacterial and viral.
Bacterial types can be treated with an antibiotic eye drop and clear up in
2-3 days. The viral kind must run its coarse and can last 10 days to 2
weeks or longer.  This is usually the kind that is contracted from a
swimming pool.

Someone wrote: Just a suggestion before taking her to the doctor.  I work
in a health foodstore and we usually give people Chamomile tea and
Eyebright tea.  We have them mix the two and make a strong tea out of it.
Then you make a hot (not too hot!) compress and put it on the eye.  You can
do this several times a day for about 10 or 15 min. each time.  This
usually works unless she has blurred vision or a lot of pain then take her
to the doctor right away. Good Luck!!! You may have to do this for several
days in a row.

Someone also suggested using a borate solution to rinse the eyes.

Of course, these are all suggestions that I received and each person must
decide for themselves what works for them.

Thanks again for your concern.

Best wishes,

Bev Wahl in Chicago IL USA