From:
RICHARD LOCKLEY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 1995 17:22:47 GMT-10

In Australia we are in the same situation as Canada as regards
"starch" in food. It is not satisfactory and attempts are being made
to change the situation. I am very pleased and surprised to find that
in the US starch means corn (maize).However, we have managed to achieve
other advances in labelling,  such as the presence of gluten in
medications  is listed in the Pharmacist's Hand Book  but is not on the
labels all products, prescribed or sold over the counter.  Eg, I suffered
a very bad reaction to Codral cold tablets two years ago and on talking to
the manufacturers (Wellcome Labs) I was told that "although the product
should be GF they could not guarantee their suppliers." (Sound familiar?)

Food labelling for Gluten has however been brought under control and
recently our National Food Authority endorsed by the Coeliac Society
of Australia, the Australian Gastroenterology Institute and the
Dietitians Association of Australia published the mandatory
guidelines for food sold as Gluten Free. Prior to this ruling, food
could be sold as GF which contained less than 0.03%, which I gather is
the International standard.

Changes to the Australian Food Standards Code require that:
Food labelled as "gluten free' must not contain any detectable
gluten.
Foods labelled as 'low gluten' must not contain more than 0.02%
gluten.
A panel providing nutrition information is required if a food is
described as being a gluten free or low gluten food.(This includes
information on Energy, Protein, Fat, Carbohydrates, Gluten, Sodium and
Potassium, per serve and per 100grams).

Slowly but surely we are getting there. STARCH has to be the next
thing to be accurately defined, until then,we coeliacs are forced to
avoid any product sold here with starch as a listed ingredient,
unless it is more closely defined.
RICHARD LOCKLEY
3/757 BURWOOD RD
EAST HAWTHORN