From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2013 16:31:03 -0400

I lost the email from the girl who was just diagnosed and is taking Miralax, I think, and having the runs.  I had already replied to her about fiber and diet options. But then thought of something else...that others may want to know.

1. Xanthan gum, if taken in too much quantity, will cause loose bowels.  In fact, it used to be abused by women who were trying to lose weight.  So if she's new, and just adjusting to the diet, and might be ingesting lots of xanthan gum now....(I usually cut down the amount in recipes), she may be reacting to too much, too suddenly.

2. I find if I chew gum or eat other products with maltitols and the other "...tols..." sugars, that it definitely loosens things up more than I like, even though the stuff is gluten-free. So if she's eating a lot of products with these sugars...and I don't know what is in Miralax....then it could be the culprit.

So not everything is due to gluten.  And sometimes a major change in diet is all it takes to get our systems upset.

For the dog lovers out there....we all know that when we change our dog's diets, we have to introduce the new stuff slowly.  While humans (or dogs) who need to go off gluten STAT, can't do it slowly, it's not shocking that such a sudden change will make our tummies sit up and take notice.  We're not dogs, but it works the same.  It's great when the change makes us feel wonderful right away, but something is wrong if she's got the runs now....I would trade the Miralax for a healthier diet and exercise...and make sure you drink enough water. See if that works.

Sometimes just getting off gluten is enough to get rid of the constipation she had before.  Not all of us get runny from gluten.

*******
*******