From:
Ellie/George <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:12:15 -0400

My family likes angel food cake and we have a mix we like.  What's your
favorite way to fancy it up?
Thanks,
Ellie

Lots of good ideas!

I like the Kinninniac mix.  The one that uses egg whites not water.  I know
it is not too hard from scratch but it is nice to have some things be easy

Because it is rasberry season we had rasberries and whipped cream and
drizzled chocolate 9and a little rassberry liquor)

add some lemon zest, about a tablespoon to the mix, makes it great!!

eat with fresh fruit and whipped cream (strawberries w/ a little sugar,
blueberries, raspberries, etc.)

When i ate gluten, we would cut an angel food cake in half (horizontally)
and scoop out a tunnel in each half. then mix cut strawberries and whipped
cream together and fill the tunnel with it. put the cake back 'together' and
frost with white icing or whipped cream...haven't tried it with a gf cake
yet.
I have made a glaze of berries (marionberries, raspberries, etc.) by
crushing the berries, adding sugar, cooking them until juicy and adding
cornstarch mixed with water and continuing to cook until thickened. Glaze
the top of the cake and let it drizzle down the sides. Serve with ice cream
or whipped cream.
Chocolate chips (Nestle's) -- especially good when the cake is warm.

Make your favorite jello, with or without fruit in it. Let it set up. Fill
the whole with the jello and then frost the whole cake with whipcream.
Refrigerate, yummy!

you could also do it with pudding!

I tunnel out the angel food cake....one inch up from bottom and one inch in
on each side......AFTER cutting down one inch and removing the whole top.
Fill with whipped cream mixed with cocoa, put top back on, and ice cake with
rest of whipped cream. My son's favorite!!
Strawberries and whip cream......or drizzle heated hershey syrup over it..
This is really special -
Slice the cake into 3 layers crosswise. Put 1 c milk in small mixing bowl
with 1 pkg instant chocolate Jello pudding mix and beat until smooth and
thick. Whip 1 pt cream; fold in 1/2 the whipped cream into the pudding
mixture. Spread not more than 2/3 c pudding mixture on bottom layer, add 2nd
layer of cake and spread another 2/3 c pudding mixture, then 3rd layer of
the cake. Add rest of the whipped cream to the rest of the pudding mixture
and mix well. Cover top and sides of the cake with this lighter chocolate
mixture. Sprinkle slivered almonds on top. This cake may be frozen for
future use.
I have only one way!  Homemade whipped cream and fresh strawberries.  Be
sure to add enough sugar to the strawberries to get a nice amount of
strawberry juice.  Drizzle a bit of the strawberry juice over the top of
the whipped cream before serving.

whipped cream and berries!!
or, since I can't do milk now, a decadent orange caramel sauce:

cook 1/2 c sugar in pot over med heat undisturbed until it starts to melt.
continue to cook stirring occasionally w/fork until melted into deep golden
caramel.  add 1/2 c orange zest and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15
seconds.  tilt pan and carefully pour in juice, (caramel will harden and
steam vigorously), cook over moderately low heat, stirring untill caramel is
dissolved.  let cool and serve.

I have not made this but eaten it at a group meeting. She used orange juice
in place of the liquid in the mix, (she used GF Pantry mix) Then she put a
glaze on it made with sugar and orange juice.It was delicious!

Try adding some orange zest and a little orange extract....this is one of my
favorite ways to 'jazz it up' a bit

We love angel food too!!  The favorite for everyone here (guests included)
seems to be "Raspberry Chocolate Delite"  So simple!!!!!  I toss fresh
raspberries (can use frozen but fresh is better) with some sugar -amount
depends on the sweetness of the berries- let sit for at least 15-20 minutes
so the juices begin to develope.  Melt some chocolate and I add a couple
tablespoons of room temp or warmer cream or even whole milk to make a
genash(very important not to be cold or it will seize up -if this happens,
squish choc into small balls and roll in cocoa powder -you will get
truffles!)  Anyway,  I dust the cake first with cocoa powder then pour on
the berries and juice and then drizzle on the chocolate.  I usually ad
chocolate shavings on the top also.  Easy to do, just take your vegetable
peeler and run down a chocolate bar.  Enjoy!  Another twist on the same
recipe is to dust with "cinnamon sugar" and top with warm "baked" (in the
micro) apple slices and top with fresh whipped cream.  Lastly if you like
coconut,  drizzle melted caramel over cake and top with coconut!! These are
all really quick and easy.  Happy eating!!

I like to top slices of angel food cake with whipped cream flavored
with instant coffee and toasted slivered almonds. You cold also
use it as a base for fruit shortcake, using strawberries, peaches,
etc. and whipped cream. ANother good one is chocolate sauce and
vanilla ice cream!

When we used to eat angel food cake, we would serve it
with a light lemon glaze (mix milk into 1/4 cup of
powdered sugar until it starts to thin out.  Add a few
drops of lemon extract and zest to taste.

Or, pile fruit around it and serve with whipped cream.
For a birthday, you can even use regular frosting (I
believe Pillsbury and Duncan Hines will reveal gluten
on the label if it's in there.)  Then, fill the middle
with fruit or cream.

I like whipped cream and berries with it. You might browse Martha Stewart's
recipes at www.marthastewart.com . Seems like she had a show segment about
that very thing, but I can't remember what she had suggested.

I have not made this but eaten it at a group meeting. She used orange juice
in place of the liquid in the mix, (she used GF Pantry mix) Then she put a
glaze on it made with sugar and orange juice.It was delicious!

Thank you everyone!
Ellie