From:
Wendy Burr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wendy Burr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 22:15:51 -0600

I received a ton of responses about dinning at Disney World.  Thank you =
all for your help!  I sounds like it is Gluten Free Heaven.  Many people =
asked me to summarize so I copied a few of the many Reponses I received =
including responses from people in the food & beverage area of WDW and =
Epcot...how nice was that.  This is a long summary but it is all really =
good information.

at Disney.  It is the easiest place to eat gluten free.  My whole family =
is on a gluten-free diet (including a 2 year old and a 4 year old).  I =
contacted Disney and made priority seating reservations at the =
restaurants we were interested in.  I advised them that we needed gf =
meals, and they gave me a direct line to the chef at each restaurant.  =
Then I called a week ahead to discuss meals with the chef.  At each =
restaurant, we were personally greeted by the chef.  They are very =
familiar with Celiac, and knew about hidden ingredients, etc.  The chef =
told us what we could eat and made every attempt to make us special =
foods so that we could have what we wanted.  Some of the places I would =
recommend were:

Chef Mickey's (character dinner at the Contemporary--the chef even =
offered us flourless cake for dessert)

Donald's Restaurantosaurus (sp?) Character breakfast at Animal Kingdom.  =
The chef made us special GF chocolate chip pancakes.

O'Hana at the Polynesian--they had delicious wonton appetizers made with =
rice wrappers, and the chef made us everything else they would normall =
serve using gf soy sauce

Hollywood & Vine buffet at MGM--the chef made me a special salmon meal, =
because the one on the buffet had gluten.  The kids only wanted fries, =
so the server made a special trip over to McDonald's to get them for the =
kids.

Le Cellier Steakhouse at Epcot

We had a bad experience at the Brewery (forget the name) restaurant at =
the Boardwalk where the waitress was a little bit of a know it all and =
served us Rice Pilaf that I'm sure had gluten in it, because the next =
day I paid for it, so I would definitely stay with the Disney =
restaurants in the hotels and parks.  As far as eating self-service type =
restaurants in the parks, I have heard that you can go to guest services =
when you arrive at the parks and request fast service meals that are =
GF-- I didn't know about this until after we came back.  One nice thing =
for the kids was that there are McDonald's fries only stands at all the =
parks for a snack.  We also ate the turkey legs that they have at most =
parks.  The other thing I did that worked out nice was I shipped all our =
favorite GF snacks, cookies, and chips along with some Thai Kitchen =
noodle soups to the hotel ahead of time so the kids would have things to =
munch on.  If you have food allergies/intolerances, they have no problem =
allowing you to bring your own snacks into the park.

We felt so spoiled while there with the restaurants--it was so nice not =
to worry about eating out.  Aside from the Brewery experience, we didn't =
have any adverse reactions to any of our meals.  Have a great time.  =
Feel free to write back with any questions

Stephanie K. Orange, CT