Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2006 15:02:00 -0600

Hi All--

Thanks to everyone who responded! Several people were anxious for a summary,
so if other suggestions come in, I will post them separately. Though most of
the replies I listed below named Biotene, everyone noted something
additional about the product that I thought others might like to know. My
dentist gave me a patient pack, which includes at least four of their
products, so I can see if I like it. For those who were wanting a summary,
you might check with your dentist to see if they suggest something specific
and if they have trial sizes or patient starter packs.  ~~Ayn in Alabama

The question I asked was if anyone could suggest a GF dry mouth rinse(s).
This is what people told me:
_____
Although I don't have Sjogren's Syndrome, I do suffer from severe dry mouth
(xerostomia) which is exacerbated by medication. I use Biotene toothpaste
and mouthwash as recommended by my dentist. They are gluten free. I've found
them to be very effective.

The company also makes a gum and several other dry mouth gels and drops you
can use throughout the day. A couple of the drops have lactose in them so be
careful if you are sensitive (the toothpaste and mouth wash do not have
lactose).

Price wise - the stuff isn't cheap. The best prices I've found (in Northern
CA) are at Costco or at Target. They are at least $2-$3 cheaper than the
drug store chains.
_____
Mouth Kote:
MANUFACTURER: PARNEL PHARMACEUTICALS INC. INDICATIONS: Natural relief from
dry mouth! Mouth Kote is a new class of oral moisturizer that creates a
homogeneous layer in the mouth that has a viscosity and lubricity similar to
saliva. People with dry mouth experience not only discomfort but also
difficulties with eating, speaking, and sleeping, in addition to severe and
rapid onset of dental caries (tooth decay). INGREDIENTS: water,xylitol,
sorbitol, Yerba Santa, citric acid, natural lemon-lime flavor, ascorbic
acid, sodium benzoate, sodium saccharin. DIRECTIONS: See Package For
Details. Not positive it's gluten free though - looks like it based on
ingreditens listed above.

  THAYERS slippery elm
150<http://www.dentaldepot.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RT4> Soothes,
heals, and coats to protect the tissues of the throat and mouth. The
original formula was first created in 1847 for Opera Singers. Ingredients:
Slippery Elm Bark, (150 mg) in a soothing base of a natural plant derived
sweetener derived from corn, with vegetable stearate as a binder.
Sodium-Free, Preservative-Free, Wheat-Free, Menthol-Free, Gluten-Free.
_____
Bioteen makes one specifically for that condition as well as a mild
toothpaste and it is g.f.  Their website is *www.laclede.com
*
Toothpaste is about $5 a tube, mouth wash is similar or more.  I used the
toothpaste for a couple of years when my mouth was especially sensitive. (I
ended up gettin a nitrate overdose from using a sensitivity protection
toothpaste with potassium nitrate.)

In the Milwaukee area, Walmart carries the toothpaste & mouthwash, Target
has at least the toothpaste. Finding where they stash them is often a
problem since they are more likely to be with dental products than with
regular & sensitivity toothpaste.
_____
I don't know about a rinse, but Tom's natural products has a toothpaste for
dry mouth.  Hope this helps.
_____
I use biotene.  I have Sjogren's.

http://www.laclede.com/products/mouthwash.asp

Ask for a prescription for Salagen.  It makes all of the difference. Both
are gluten, sugar and yeast free.
_____
Your situation sounds just like mine!  I, too, have mild Sjogren's (as well
as Lupus) and have started having dry mouth issues.  I use Biotene mouth
wash, toothpaste, and gum and it does seem to help.  I find that chewing ANY
gum helps.  I still have to get up in the middle of the night for a sip of
water, sometimes,  though.  I would encourage you to try the Biotene
products.

I also have flares of mouth sores.  Since mouth sores are a symptom of
Celiac, Sjogren's and Lupus, I cannot really pin down an exact cause, but I
suspect it is probably a combo of all!  As with many autoimmunine diseases,
they seem worse when I am under stress.  My dentist gives me a 'script for a
cream (oragel? something with steroids in it, I think) that I use on the
worst sores for a few nights in a row (the stuff is so gross(pastey), so I
have a hard time using it durning the day) and seems to help.
_____
I've used Biotene and really like it. It's spendy, but in the past it was gf
and it never made my mouth break out like other mouth washes. I don't
believe it contains alcohol.
_____
I also have Sjogren's syndrome.  My rheumatologist prescribed Numoisyn
Lozenges from Align Pharmaceuticals.  1-866-231-5020.  They are gluten free,
have a great lemon taste, and stimulate saliva production.  Align also has
other products you might check on.
_____
Biotene has an entire product line available OTC for dry mouth.  Some of my
patients have found it helpful, others not.  According to this site it is
GF.
http://www.dentist.net/dry-mouth-biotene.asp#2