From:
Sherene Silverberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sherene Silverberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 20:30:15 -0400

My 70 year old, type 1 diabetic mother-in-law has just been diagnosed
with celiac disease.  I have spent today trying to explain about the
disease and how to plan for the diet.

I appear to do be doing something wrong because she is not getting
the fact that gluten can hide in foods and that you need to check for
cross contamination. She also is not understanding that CD is not
like diabetes and that she cannot have a little bit of gluten like
she would with sugar and be OK.

Can you recommend some EASY to understand books or websites that will
spell it all out in plain language?

Is there a book that explains all the pitfalls of dining out, all the
issues you have to look into wrt food etc?

Even better, is there a counsellor I can get her to talk to in the
greater DC area?  Someone who will take the time to help her
understand and not get frustrated with her lack of understanding.

Many thanks
Sherene