From:
diana day <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
diana day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 21:04:15 -0400

Some people wrote to me about the cake recipe from Mrs. Hodges, saying
that the numbers had not printed out right. I will repost here and
actually spell out the numbers so you can read them. Sorry for the
trouble!

Here it is:

This is a cake recipe from my friend Hester Hodges, who has been baking
cakes for people she knows on their birthdays for years and years. As
she approaches her eighty second birthday, I think Mrs. Hodges has
reached her finest hour with this one! She makes up her own recipes and
has been baking GF birthday cakes for us for several years now. This is
an awesome three layer apple cake, made something like a carrot cake. It
is moist, airy and the height of a standard birthday cake.

If you try it, would you do me the favor of telling Mrs. Hodges how you
like it? I thought I would collect messages and pass them along to her.
The idea that she has made a cake that many people could enjoy would
make her day.

Here it is:

Gluten Free Apple Cake

--I'm spelling out all the ingredients to avoid problems with symbols
showing up funny.--

Two cups sugar
One cup vegetable oil
Four eggs
Two cups fresh chopped apples
Two cups gluten free rice flour
One half teaspoon salt
One and one half teaspoons baking soda
One and one half teaspoons baking powder
One teaspoon vanilla
Two teaspoons cinnamon
Two teaspoons ground cloves
Chopped pecans

Combine sugar and oil and beat well. Add eggs, chopped apples and
vanilla. Beat until smooth. Add flour, salt, baking powder and baking
soda, cinnamon and cloves. Pour into three greased and gluten free
floured pans. Bake at three hundred and twenty five degrees for thirty
minutes or until firm in middle. Cool ten minutes in pans. Top with
cream cheese icing mixed with chopped pecans. You can make this by
mixing cream cheese with honey or sugar to taste.

Hope you like it!

Diana