From:
AMY ROBERTS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AMY ROBERTS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2008 08:56:21 -0800

Hi all,

  This is a recipe that we used over the Holidays.  I'm sorry that it took me so long to get it on the site, they really turned out good! (Makes 12 regular sized muffins) My husband couldn't remember the source of the recipe, so please forgive the plagiarism.

  Gluten Free Yorkshire Pudding

  2/3 cup of gluten-free flour mix (any)
  1/3 cup of corn starch or potato starch (we used corn starch)
  1/2 tsp. salt (or up to 1 tsp to taste)
  1/4 tsp gluten free baking powder
  1/4 tsp xanthum gum
  2-3 whole eggs (we used 2)
  1 cup milk or half & half
  Drippings from roast beef (we used vegetable oil)

  Preheat oven to 425

  Mix all dry ingredients well.  Beat eggs separately, then add to dry ingredients, mixing well with electric hand mixer.  Finally, add the milk or cream and beat for a couple of minutes (should be the consistency of thick cream).

  Pour a little beef drippings into each muffin cup.  I use about 1 tsp, in each, but we like ours "greasy".  You really just need to line the bottom of each cup for this to work.  Then put the muffin tins into the oven and heat til the oil is VERY hot.

  Distribute the batter evenly into the 12 muffin cups and bake at 425 for 15 minutes.  If the puddings are well risen by then, turn the oven down to 375 and finish cooking them (should be about 5-10 minutes)  You can tell by looking at them how moist they are.  Just cook until they look right to you.

  This has worked perfectly for me (after much previous experimentation) 6 to 7 times now.  I doubt anyone could tell the difference between these and Yorkshire pudding made with wheat flour.

  Happy dining!