Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 10:48:40 -0500

Summary of my original post, asking if rice could potentially be coated
with barley or wheat. I summarized four days ago but it has never appeared.

In the US, some rice is "enriched" or "fortified" with vitamins. Always
contact the company to ask if any gluten has been used in the enrichment
process.

In Canada, I contacted both Superstore/President's Choice and Safeway, and
found out some disturbing information: the house/store brands of plain rice
are made on the same line as the fancy little packets of flavoured/seasoned
rice side dishes. Safeway confirmed that all varieties of their plain rices
were made on a shared line. Superstore confirms on a product by product
basis using the barcode to identify the product (1-888-495-5111). In this
instance I verifed a bag of converted white rice (the term 'converted'
means steamed with plain water) and was told it was made on the same line
as other rice products containing wheat, dairy and soy. So be careful if
you are particularly sensitive. I returned the bag I had just bought.

Uncle Ben's (in Canada) uses a dedicated line for all their plain rices.
And I've been told by many that all Lundberg's rices are GF.

Just out of interest, more than a few people told me that all rice
is "coated" with other substances, including talc in one case, and must be
rinsed. I always thought the cloudy stuff that rinses away was starch....
My husband told me that "all good cooks rinse their rice before cooking
it"  --  any other good cooks out there who rinse their rice ?

Janice in Canada.