From:
J & C White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 07:21:09 -0800

No, I have no problem with Parmesan cheese.  We generally use Stella

Eat only parmiggiano reggiano cheese. It is the only authentic parmesan
from Italy. You can tell if it is authentic because the rind will have
the name all around the outside. Any piece you buy will have at least a
part of the name on it.

Sure bothers me, Janet. It can if you are lactose intolerant or
especially if you have problems with casein, as many lactose intolerants
do, as well as some who are not

Make sure you buy the "whole block" and grate it yourself.  I don't trust
the pre-grated types, just in case they added something to keep it from
sticks, I have a problem with parmesan cheese and any other cheeses,
whether or not they are gluten-free.  I can not eat any dairy at all.  I
used to think I was just lactose intolerant, but I found out cheeses
affect me in more ways than just lactose intolerance.

Hannaford will send you a GF list... I don't believe parmesan is on
there.

However, ALL Cabot cheeses are gluten-free.

I will try to find my Hannaford list, but it is probably better to get a
new one.  For instance, last I heard, all their vitamins are gluten-free.
Their frozen veggies are not (even though by reading the ingredients, you
would think they are)

Getting back again: My old (6mo) GF list only states that the Hannaford
Cream Cheese is GF - no mention of any others. Shaws grated parmesan
(again, this list about 6mo old) says it is GF and that the anti-caking
ingredient is cellulose based and not wheat based.

Hannaford's phone number is: 1-800-213-9040
GOOD LUCK!!

I eat parmesan cheese all the time with no problem.  Maybe if you try
another brand.  I buy fresh hunks and grate it myself.  That is easy to
do and lasts forever in a closed container in the refrigerator.

You can use Rice or Soy Parmesan instead. Much healthier than dairy. I
recommend the rice product as soy is a common allergan.

It is possible that your parmesan cheese is contaminated with something.
If you want the best, pure parmesan, buy Italian sheep's milk parmesan.
The brand i buy is Locatelli and it is called pecorino romano.
absolutely wonderful and unadulterated with any additives or
preservatives

all real Italian (as this product is) meats and cheeses are gf. that's
why it is a good bet for celiacs to travel in Italy. they don't add any
fillers of any kind. my celiac daughter spent a year there (in tuscany)
and also went back on her honeymoon last year. she had no problems
whatsoever eating!