Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 1994 20:38:24 -0500

On  Fri, 23 Dec 1994 15:03:26 -0600
"J. Murray" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>It is certainly possible for crohn's patient to have certain foods worsen
>their symptoms.  Crohn's disease may be almost indistinguishable from
>celiac disease in certain circumstances and may even occur in the same
>patient. certainly it is preferable to have celiac disease as its
>treatment is more sucessful than crohn's.  CD has been diagnosed in some
>patients mistakenly diagnosed as Crohn's disease.  Gastroenterologists
>tend to be more aware of crohn's disease than of CD and there may be a
>familiarity-bias involved.  Joe Murray

I actually visited the famous Dr. Crohn himself. This was over 40 years
ago. This was right after President Eisenhower had had an operation for
Crohn's disease, in which a section of Eisenhower's small intestine had
been removed. I had been dealing with an H.M.O, namely the Heath Insurance
Plan of Greater New York. The doctors there had never even heard of celiac
disease. They suggested that I might have Crohn's disease. But they
couldn't make up their minds. So. I took my X-rays from H.I.P. to Crohn who
looked them over and said: "Young man, you don't have Crohn's disease. Your
problem is you're nervous. My advice to you is to stop being nervous." I AM
NOT MAKING THIS UP!!  Unfortunately, I had not heard of Smith and Dale. who
did a comedy routine based on a doctor "Kronkhite" and his patient. If I
had, this is what I would have said to Dr. Crohn. When he asked for his fee
of $35, I would have said, "what's that for?" He would have said: "That's
for my advice." Then I would have said: "Here's ten dollars. Take it.
That's MY advice."

I wasn't diagnosed as having celiac disease until '57. I have just about
the worst case of celiac disease of anyone I have ever heard about.
I have always been extremely underweight and lacking in energy. I am five
feet, ten inches in height, and, at present, weigh 120 pounds. However,
when I was younger, my usual weight was around 100 pounds. I remember one
occasion when I was 38 years old that I weighed exactly 98 pounds on my
physician's beam balance scale. The reason I remember this is that there
was an ad in the New York Herald Tribune to the effect that reading Al
Horowitz, the chess columnist for that newspaper, could turn a 98-pound
weakling into a chess champion. This was a parody of the ad for Charles
Atlas, which was well-known at that time. I could indeed have become a
chess champion, if I had really worked at it.

[log in to unmask], a.k.a. [log in to unmask]