From:
Diane Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 14:50:16 PST

Hi.  I had asked whether there was information on the GF status of Russell
Stover's candies, as multiple boxes seem to appear in my office around the
holidays.

    I finally located their phone number, though I haven't had the
opportunity to call yet.  For anyone who is impatient, here it is:
1-816-842-9240.

    One person told me they had eaten their chocolate-covered nuts without
mishap, but that's not a definite answer; plus, I'm interested in the
assortment boxes.

    Two persons told me that any gluten-containing ingredients are listed on
the boxes.  (Unfortunately, the boxes as I found them no longer had the
lists).  Here are a couple useful quotes:

Hi.  This is a quote from The Tri-County Celiac Group's Shopping
Guide:  "Russell Stover Candies- Those products containing wheat
flour are listed in ingredients.  Many flavors are eluted into
alcohol but company feels the alcoholic content is flashed off in the
hot candy when flavor is added.  " I wouldn't think that it would be
safe to eat anything out of any of the assortments as how could you
possible know what was in them?

According to the food guide published in michigan by the celiac GROUP
THERE, Russel stover candies atated the company lists any ingredients
THAT WOULD Not be gf.  If not listed the candy is gf.  So i guess you
will HAVE TO HAVE Your co-workers save the ingredient list for you
before they rip THE BOXES OPEN.

    If I manage to get through to the company, I'll post the results.

                                         Diane.