From:
Barbara Nielsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 14:10:36 EST

I understand that Celiac Disease is very common in Ireland where a good
proportion of the people are Catholic.  How is the Catholic Church handling
the wafer question there?  I have been told so many times at CD conferences,
including one at the National Institute of Health that ingesting "a little
bit of gluten" is like being "a little bit pregnant.

As a lifelong Catholic I recall the many years when it was a mortal sin for
us to eat meat on Fridays.  The church changed its view on this some years
ago.  Perhaps it can change its "God is in the gluten" rule.

Barb