Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 13:02:50 +0100

On 4 May 2001, at 13:45, David J Walland wrote:

> With regards to the numbers game and the variations in
> results between the Canadian and the Australian studies
> versus the Finnish study, let alone the many 10,000's of
> Europeans who use this material in their GF diets, Graham
> has failed to show why we should accept a paper which shows
> that 17 out 17 coeliacs showed full-blown CD when using
> this flour, when in a massive population many coeliacs use
> this material because they prefer it and others because
> they are unaware  of it, with only a tiny percentage
> showing any problems and for this majority, full recovery
> in properly conducted medical tests (as my wife has).
>
> Does Graham want us to believe that the thousands
> are wrong, and pretending not to be suffering CD when they
> actually are, backed by the medical profession, and the 17
> right?

Hello All,

In all this slightly acrimonious debate, these words of David's, to
my mind, make a lot of sense. As I said in a previous post,
common sense seems to be saying that the only proof of the
pudding is in the eating, and if the eating gives you problems, then
you will presumably give it miss henceforth. And I have to say here
that I've been eating this CA wheat starch for two years in Glutafin
bread mixes now - (usual disclaimer) - and have had no problem
with it. Unless someone's going to say that my recent outburst of
DH was due to it. To which I'd reply that it seems unlikely it would
take two years to cause such a flare-up, and even more unlikely
that it would then die away again without my having left off the
wheat starch - which is the case.

And to all those who asked - yes, I've passed on to the Coeliac
Society in the UK Don Wiss's comments about their funding from
manufacturers of CA wheat starch. I'll publish their reply when I get
it.

Jeff in London, UK