From:
larson sharon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 11:32:09 -0600

I have been going to share my experience with communion with the list
hoping that it might help someone who was in my situation.  Since the
question has come up today through the list, I am going to respond to the
list hoping it will help others, also.  I am a Catholic and found it very
depressing that I might never receive communion again (I was diagnosed 9
months ago).  I struggled over it for a while and then met with the
priest.  He was absolutely wonderful.  He called the Bishop's office and
they were aware of the disease and had no problem with my priest working
out something so I could receive communion.  This is the procedure we now
follow:  I make a GF unleavened bread.  I cut it in appropriate sizes and
freeze each piece separately.  When going to church, I take one out and
place it in a small paper container (like those a nurse would use in
dispensing your medicine in a hospital).  When I go into church, the
priest takes it and places it in the communion dish.  He watched where I
sit and then at communion time, he sees that he distributes communion in
the section I am seated.  I, in turn, change sections each Sunday so he
also can vary his distribution.  He was eager to help me and figured out
the procedure so it would work.  He in no way believes it will not be
equal to the regular communion hosts.  That sounds like someone is hung up
on some "old"  beliefs that don't make a lot of sense for the loving God
that we know.  I hope this helps someone.  If anyone wants the recipe
shared, please e-mail me privately.

Sharon in Kansas
"Smile--it's contagious"