Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 20:15:41 -0400
<<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your
situation.>>

I've seen several questions on the list recently regarding eating GF in
Yosemite National Park, so I thought I would post about our recent
experiences there.

First, all the restaurants and stores in the Park are run by concessionaire
Delaware North Co. - and they claim to be fully compliant with all
provisions of the ADA, including those pertaining to special diets!

Shopping: there are a couple tiny stores at Curry Village, Yosemite Lodge
and the at the Housekeeping units. These stock a variety of naturally GF
products, such as milk, fruit, rice, etc. and a few Amy's brand products
marked "gluten'free."

The main grocery store at Yosemite Village can supply all you need for GF
eating: I saw GF corn flakes, pasta, baking mix and frozen items. They also
had meat including Ball Park Franks, produce, dairy, some GF canned goods,
McCann's oatmeal, etc. We could have safely shopped there for everything we
needed for our week in the Park.

Restaurants: I have been told you can eat GF at any restaurant there **with
advance notice.** Both last summer and this summer we ate at the Lodge Food
Court and the Mountain View (fine dining) Room after making prior contact
about our diet, and had no problems at all. This time we also ate once at
the Village snack bar and twice at Curry Village without advance notice,
and they were able to accommadate us. However, we went at off peak times; I
would not suggest trying this at busy times. You can contact the food
services for the Park via http://www.yosemitepark.com/ - I found the chefs
very helpful and informed about cross contamination issues.

If you prefer to prepare your own food, stay at the Housekeeping units,
which is the only place other than camp grounds that allows you to cook.

Maureen