From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 2000 23:27:30 -0400

Lorna Sherlock <[log in to unmask]> posted:

>The most definitive source is the magazine "Gluten-Free Living", which did a
>study of this several issues ago. The conclusion was that the only flavors
>worth worrying about are those in meat, which might contain something like
>wheat starch. All others are safe.
>  After study I
>choose to not worry about flavorings unless they are in a meat product

This is not correct. Natural flavors, or flavorings, are often hydrolyzed
protein. Has nothing to do with wheat starch. The protein hydrolyzed can be
any protein, but gluten is a cheap protein and is often used. And barley
gets used as it imparts a flavor that people like. Natural flavors made
from hydrolyzed proteins are often used in vegetable products in addition
to meat. In particular they are used in tomato products.

You will see that most tomato paste has flavorings. This further compounds
the issue, as US regs say the manufacturers don't have to disclose
ingredients of ingredients. So If you see tomato paste listed as an
ingredient it can legally include undisclosed hydrolyzed protein. Five
Brothers made a decision in 1991 to not have any hydrolyzed proteins in
their products. For this reason it is the only spaghetti sauce that I would
recommend.

Don.