Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 2003 16:00:28 -0500

Dear Listmates -
I thought I would share where we actually ended up eating in Seattle:

There really is no way a Celiac can go hungry in Seattle.
It abounds with fresh organic fruits (at Pike Place Market downtown -
a fabulous open-air place a block long), fresh fish, and Indian and Thai
restaurants.

Most Thai restaurants (but not all) use GF soy sauce and GF fish sauce
in their dishes (but the oyster sauce may have gluten) - but check - and
ask questions about preparation methods.

We ended up eating at Typhoon in downtown Seattle.  The manager said
there was no wheat in the soy sauce or fish sauce, but may be in the oyster
sauce, so I asked which sauces/ingredients the entree I wanted contained.
I ordered Pineapple Fried Rice - a mildly spicy dish with cashews, rice,
chicken, shrimp, pineapple, and onions.  Delicious!  Our son had a spicy
dish that was served in a peeled coconut.

For Indian Restaurants, we went to Cedar's - above Flying Apron bakery,
the one that has a few GF goodies - and had fabulous food.  Their menu
is varied, and I was told there was no wheat in the dishes I wanted.
Papadum - a lentil flat wafer in round shape - dipped in Tamarind sauce
is great for an appetizer.

Also India Bistro in the Ballard section of Seattle where we stayed - and
the manager told me he has a regular customer that can't have wheat, and
to ask him my questions.  Had Lamb Pandoori, and, of course, Papadum
and Tamarind sauce.

Also to India Oven buffet in Port Angeles on the Olympic peninsula, on
the way to the Olympic mountains and the Hurricane Ridge hiking trail.
I was told everything on the buffet that day except the Indian flat bread
was wheat-free, and had a great time.

I packed some GF sandwiches for later, since we stayed at a one-bedroom
private B&B with a full kitchen ($65 a night).

Stocked up on supplies from health food strores.

While at Pike Place Market, I crossed the street and got a Greek salad with
Tzaziki dressing  - made from yogurt- and delicious.  No pita bread, of
course.

Add to that restaurants where you can get fresh fish - or ask them to
cook it
under the broiler or in a clean pan, in butter or olive oil, and all the
other places
Seattle has to offer, and you have a feast while you vacation.

I think I gained a couple of pounds.
Vicki in Illinois