From:
bobbi vantine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
bobbi vantine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2007 04:18:30 -0700

The following are summary’s that I received and I thank each of you, the information is very helpful and I know I will have a great time in Europe.

  Netherlands and Germany: Main grocery store in the Netherlands is "Alber Heijn" they put gluten free symbols on their store brand products. Check out the website of Schar brand . Netherlands also has "frite" stands all over, usually they just sell fries, delicious.
  The understanding is that Celiacs are more common in Europe, or at least the condition is better know. As a result, there are more restaurants that will cater to your needs.
  I was in Paris this past spring. Check out my article on www.wayoftheceliactraveler.blogspot.com

  As many others will probably tell you, it is much easier traveling in Europe than it is here. Very few cross contamination problems and they are very aware of celiac. You might want to take Triumph Dining cards in the specific languages just to show the servers if you should run into problems. Great Pomme Frites (french fries) in Paris!!!

  Berlin and Northern Germany — Found on the internet a listings of the Reformhaus, they carry all sorts of GF food. www.coliakie.de several reformhaus chain stores are in Germany Vitalia Reformhaus. On a google search you can get to the German Coliakie society. The Coliakie society responded back in English. Ice coffees are mixes not just cold plain coffee and the mixes had barley in them and an ice cream shop showed me a label and it appeared that some ice creams may be suspect. Make sure you bring meds, if you have any gluten reactions symptoms. The restaurant cards are a must. The reformhaus in Berlin had some great bread like croissants from Spain .