Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:39:45 -0600

Thank you for all of the responses to my questions.  As it turned out, I
did not have to take the trip.
Thank you again,
diane

1.  Gluten free in Paris  -

Look for health food shops called La Vie Claire -- they carry a good
selection of packaged GF foods (excellent bread, crackers, cookies, pasta,
etc. -- even pastries that flake on your lap!).  They are scattered all over
Paris -- check the phone book for the closest address to where you are
staying.

----

I always bring enough lunch for 2-3 meals.  I put it in a soft sided
shoulder strap cooler, with frozen juices and a small ice pack.  It
stays cool for one day.  I bring cheese, muffins, sandwiches, almonds,
an apple, etc...

----

i leave for paris in 3 weeks and been there before. my
experience is most restaurant food does not  have gluten  if
you can understand  what the dish is, if you find a restaurant that
has dishes described in english  and someone there that speaks
english  there will be no problem, fish is best bet,they don't bread
things there

----

My husband and I went to Paris last summer for a week and loved it.

Here is what I found successful.

I brought food with me to feel secure.  it is not a necessity.

I brought Granola Bars from Energy Foods for breakfast.

For lunch I could have salad or an omelets.

For dinner I ordered either filet mignon or baked potatoes or fish
(without flour) and baked potato.

I had excellent results.  Enjoy!

----
the best gf bread we have ever had is sold in France.  We found it in health
food stores in Paris....the brand is "valpiform".  Have a great time!  We
took a gf restaurant card in french, and did not have much trouble finding
places to eat.

----

2.  Any tips for food on the plane trip?

Call American Airlines immediately.  They have been
able to get me gluten free meals on a short notice.

----

The minimum order time for a gluten free international meal is 6 hours.  Call 1-800-433-7300 and order with the reservationist now.  I work for American and just looked up this information in our computer system.

[note:  several other people wrote to tell me that it was 24 hrs in advance but their website does say 6 hrs

http://www.aa.com/content/travelInformation/duringFlight/dining/specialMeals.jhtml#glutenmeal ]

----

... I make sure I take a peanut butter sandwich, g/f crackers and cheese, protein bars, fruit, or you could even take cereal in a zip lock bag as they usually have milk.  Energy foods has two slices of bread per carton that will last up to a year in the pantry.  .... All of this to say that I depend on the airlines very little.

[note:  1 person said that they were on a plane with a passenger who was severely allergic to peanuts and the flight attendants warned everyone not to open or eat anything with peanuts in it.]
 ----