From:
"S.McLeod" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 14:00:59 +1200

There have been the occassional queries over the safety of "wheat
starch", especially those used in "gluten-free" or "low gluten" bread
mixes. The wheat starch in these products has been specially treated so
that all, or almost all, the gluten is removed. However a dietician who
compiles the gluten-free food list in New Zealand has told me that it
would not be good to eat too much at once. I do use low gluten bread mix
for my daughter because it does make bread that she enjoys. There are a
lot of gf specialty products, icluding home baking, she won't try.

Wheat starch in general though is NOT gluten free, and people should
clarify which type they are referring to.

And I've just been caught out again by a once-listed-as-gf product that
no longer is! Guess I should have checked the label (not that it always
helps), but in this case the offending ingredient is "wheat starch" and
the product is no longer on our gluten-free list, which is why I checked
the almost empty packet in my cupboard.(Arrrrggghhh!)

I think it would be helpful though if we had access to the gf lists from
other countries as, unless they are specialty foods, often products from
other countries are not listed. So to start things off this is the web
site for the New Zealand Therapeutic Database that has not only a
current list of gf products, but also seven other lists covering
allergies to lactose, soya etc:

                                http://www.nztd.co.nz/
Stella.