From:
Robin Moorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 23:09:22 EDT

First off I would like to thank all 25 of you who responded to my post.  This
site has been so helpful to me since being diagnosed approx 2 months ago.  I
have learned the majority of my info from here, and you people are all great.
 Here goes my summary, according to responses I received.

It appears that the majority of people with CD do not react to topical
gluten. Most stated that gluten must be ingested to cause any harm in the
digestive tract.  As long as I am not ingesting it in some way, (ie.
lipstick) then I should be safe.  I wasn't even thinking of lipstick when I
posted this, and I never thought of checking my lipsticks for gluten......so
thank you so much for that.  I do not have DH,  but for those who do, they
obviously stated that they stay away from gluten and wheat products in
cosmetics just as they have to with foods they eat.  Makes sense to me.  =)

About 5 responses from people who DO NOT have DH, but yet still experienced
some ill effects (i.e., itching, rashes, breakouts).   I did get a couple of
topical gluten or wheat products they put on their skin.

One response said that it appears this topic is pretty much up in the air,
because it seems to depend on your sensitivity level.  Seems some with CD can
handle it, some can't, and some just avoid it totally because they are so
used to just avoiding gluten all together.  Once again, thank you all SO
MUCH.  I hope this summary is somewhat helpful for someone else, as all of
your responses have been for me.  I also plan on checking out the archives on
this, just need to remember how to get to them.