From:
"Constance K. Ogren" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 21:02:13 -0400

Hi,
        KUDOS to all that made a T.V. spot on celiac possible.

        This morning I was watching/listening to my local T.V station
(NBC Channel 12-Richmond, Virginia) which features a spotlight on health
once a week and was I surpised to see/hear that it was celiac.  They
described the each of the grains (wheat, oats, rye and barley) that a
celiac was allgeric to), some of the symptoms and the possiblity of what
the outcome would be if one did not stick to the gluten-free diet
(possible cancer and it could be life-threatening). They featured a
person from Maryland that was diagnosed when he was a baby, went without
symptoms until his 40s and then it came back with a vengence. He was
interviewed and he indicated that the diet was difficult especially when
eating out and trying to explain to restuarant personnel the reasons for
his questions, but no matter what, he was sticking to the diet.

        I just wanted to share with the List that there appears to be
more pubic awarness of CD.  Hope some others saw the same telecast on
the NBC network.

Connie in Virginia