From:
Don Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Don Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 12:52:06 -0400

Thank you to those who responded to my inquiry about my daughter's red bumps and rashes: "My 45 year old daughter has tested negative in a biopsy for Celiac Sprue a year ago, but positive in a gliadin blood test. She is now suffering from rashes many places on her body -- little red bumps and rashes, which seem a bit like Lupus or Dermatitis Herpiformis. She has had assorted intestinal pains and difficulties.

Her doctor has been little help, and she has to wait three months for an appointment with a dermatologist. Does anyone have helpful advice about what some of the diagnoses or causes might be --and treatments that have helped."

I received more than 30 replies, all of them helpful; many detailed and informative. The majority suggested a GF diet as the thing to try. And she is doing just that and her rashes and bumps are nearly all gone already.

Some suggested two books: Dangerous Grains and Wheat-Free, Gluten Free: The Art of Happy, Healthy Gluten-free Living. I ordered both of these for her.

The response reflected the confusions and contradictions about skin problems that may or may not be related to Celiac Sprue -- Uncertainty but conjecturing about DH, hives, eczema, etc. A few suggested Dr. Fine's web site about diagnosis: www.enterolab.com. One person recommended udder balm and other skin lotions for treatment. Several warned about the need for biopsies and some about the unreliability about biopsies.

She has not seen a dermatologist or had any additional tests or diagnoses.

Thanks to all who helped.

Don Davies
Don Davies