Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 08:09:03 -0500

This is in response to Lynn's request of  3/26 and I chose to respond to the
list since there has been more than one inquiry recently:

I have been taking Fasomax for at least two months.  The endocrinologist to
whom i went because i wanted a bone scan (Gastroentrologist recommended that
I go to her), prescribed this and only after the bone scan came back with the
amount of osteoporosis I have--think it surprised even her. ( Again, I say to
the list the reason I asked about a bone scan was because it was listed as
one of the things we should do fall issued of Gluten Free Living.)  She
explained the alternatives, Didronel that has less GI distress and a cousin
of Fasomax, and that it takes 7-8 years to build bone mass by 8%.  I chose
the Fasomax as it has been shown to increase bone mass by 8% over 3 years.

At first I had a few mornings when I wasn't too sure what I was experiencing
in my stomach and esophagus.  I did have some heart burn during the day,
however I changed my eating style and didn't finish meals with my grapefruit,
or orange juice, rather ate or drank those first.

I'm just 57, had three children, breast fed them all, have celiac sprue, have
osteoporosis in both paternal and maternal grandmothers and my mother has it.
 Predestined?  My osteoporosis is in my hips and spine - The endocrinologist
did not ask that any other bones be scaned.

Fosamax is made by Merck and they will happily discuss Fasomax with you and
send you information if you telephone 1-800/995-5700.

The most important aspect is that you take it FIRST thing in the morning, on
an empty stomach, that you drink at least one full 8 oz of water afterwards
or more, and that you DO NOT LIE DOWN thereafter until you've eaten something
30-45 minutes later.  The Merck info says 30 minutes, my doctor asked me to
wait 45, which I do.  I turn on my computer and read the listserver and write
emails such as this.  so I'm sitting, and/or walking around.

I just had my two month check up with the Endocrinologist.  She has already
perscribed another bone scan for next Jan, '97, and she told me to go back to
the same place to have it done, so that I would be scanned by the same
machines, in my case George Washington U Hospital in Washington, D.C.  (This
is different from a mamography that can be done on different types of
machines.)

I take 500mg. calcium with vit D three times a day, lift 5lb weights for
about 7-10 minutes each morning, walk at least 30 minutes a day, eat kale,
brocoli (sp?), carrots, garlic, etc.
And, my internist, new for me, is very high on Fasomax and prescribes it for
his patients with osteoporosis.

Good luck.

Sarah Barnett
Washington, D.C.