From:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:38:49 -0400

WARNING:  Since I was concerned that the list below is *so* extensive, I asked Valerie Williamson to verify the list for me.  She is very willing to do so, but is a one-person department.  She will get back to me as soon as she can.  Until then, I would encourage you to check the gluten free status of the food you eat with the manager or chef of the location you go to.)

Below are some relevant links, their reply, and a list of gf menu items.

Dawn @ the Jersey Shore

****************

Chevys Website: http://www.chevys.com/new_flash_frame.html
Rio Bravo Website:   http://www.riobravo.com/

Because our menu items and methods of preparation may vary from state to state, we cannot guarantee this information, however we are fairly confident that this information is accurate.

Several of our grilled items are marinated in a sauce that contains soy sauce as an ingredient (Agua Negra), so technically these items are not gluten-free.  This will explain why many of the grilled meats are on the gluten-containing items list.  WHEN IN DOUBT, ask your server or the manager if the item has the following ingredients:  agua negra, or chipotle base, adobo sauce (as all of these contain gluten).  Request that corn tortillas not be put into the fryer as this may cause cross-contamination from the flour products that are fried in the same oil.

Gluten-Free Items:
   Appetizers
     -- No Appetizers are GF

   Sides/Condiments
     -- Guacamole
     -- Salsa

   Quesadillas (must REPLACE flour tortilla with corn tortilla)
     -- Taste of Napa Valley (REPLACE flour tortilla with corn tortilla)
     -- Original Chicken (REPLACE flour tortilla with corn tortilla)

   Salads
     -- Caesar salad (WITHOUT grilled chicken and corn chips)
     -- Santa Fe Chopped salad (WITHOUT grilled chicken)
     -- Chicken or beef tostada salad
          WITHOUT flour tostada shell
          OK with salsa chicken or picadillo beef
          do NOT request grilled chicken or beef
     -- Mixed green salad
     -- Dressings:  Salsa Vinaigrette, Caesar, Ranch

   Fresh Mex Classics (Make sure you do NOT have flour tortillas, taco dressing, black beans, or rice.  It’s OK to have:  soft corn tortillas (NOT fried), refried beans, and sweet corn tomalito)
     -- Cheese Enchilada (be sure it’s with corn tortillas)
     -- Chicken Enchilada and Taco (Be sure it’s with corn tortillas and Salsa Chicken.  For tacos, request that taco dressing NOT be used.)
     -- Beef Enchilada and Taco (Be sure it’s with corn tortillas and Picadillo Beef. For tacos, request that taco dressing NOT be used.)
     -- Pork and Chicken Tamales
     -- Taste of Chevys (OK when the chicken taco is made with a soft corn tortilla, NOT a flour tortilla or grande shell. For tacos, request that taco dressing NOT be used.)
     -- Super Chevys (OK when the beef taco is made with a soft corn tortilla, NOT a flour tortilla or grande shell. For tacos, request that taco dressing NOT be used.)
     -- OK ingredients
          Salsa Chicken (in enchiladas, tacos, tamales, chicken tostada salad, etc)
         Picadillo (the ground beef mixture in enchiladas, tacos, beef tostada, etc)
         Refried beans
         Sweet corn tomalito
         Soft corn tortillas (Request that the tortillas NOT be fried; if fried, could be contaminated with flour)
        Sauces:  green sauce, red sauce, meat sauce, chocolate sauce, cajeta sauce

   Burritos/Wraps (NOT OK:  all contain gluten)

   Fajitas (Make sure you do NOT have flour tortillas, black beans, or rice)
     -- Succulent Shrimp  (REPLACE flour tortilla with corn tortilla)
     -- Scorchin’ Hot Shrimp  (REPLACE flour tortilla with corn tortilla)
     -- OK ingredients
          Refried beans
          Sweet corn tomalito
          Soft corn tortillas (Request that the tortillas NOT be fried; if fried, could be contaminated with flour)
          Sour cream
          Pico de gallo (tomato, onion, cilantro mixture)
          Sauces:  green sauce, red sauce, meat sauce, chocolate sauce, cajeta sauce

   Fresh fish of the day (need to ask how it is prepared/marinated; request no taco dressing)

   Misc.
     -- Beans ala Charra (pinto beans)
     -- Mexican butter
     -- Chile honey marinade
     -- Corn and pepper relish
     -- San Antonio vegetable mix (onions, peppers)
     -- Roasted summer veggies

Gluten-free status unknown:  We are not 100% sure of the source of the vinegar in our BBQ sauce, achiote paste and Chevys hot habanero sauce, so items containing the sauce are a little risky. We think that they're ok, but we are not entirely sure.
   Appetizers
     -- Spicy wings*
   Fajitas
     -- Ribs*
   Chevys hot habanero sauce*

Gluten-Containing Items (Do NOT order):
   Appetizers
     -- Chips (there is cross contamination: flour tortillas are fried in the same oil)
     -- Nachos Grande, Guacamole & Chips, Chile con Queso (chips are not GF)
     -- Fajita nachos
     -- Flautas

   Quesadillas
     -- Grilled BBQ Chicken (because of the BBQ chicken and flour tortilla)
     -- Habanero Steak ‘Dilla (because of the grilled beef and flour tortilla)

   Salads
     -- Grilled chicken or beef on any salad

   Fresh Mex Classics
     -- Chicken and Beef Chimichanga (there is cross-contamination:  fried in same oil as flour tortillas)
     -- Shrimp & Crab enchiladas (filling contains flour)
     -- Spinach, Mushroom & Artichoke enchiladas (filling contains flour)
     -- Chipotle Chicken enchiladas
     -- Chile Relleno Combo
     -- Super Chevys
     -- Durango
     -- Best O’ Best
     -- Taco dressing (can request it be left off of tacos)
     -- Chile Rellenos
     -- Poblano Pepper
     -- Flour tortillas
     -- Black beans
     -- Mexican rice (contains chipotle base)

   Burritos/Wraps
     -- All contain gluten

   Fajitas:  all of the following contain gluten
     -- Carnitas
     -- Chicken Fajitas  (Gluten in the marinade)
     -- Portabello and Asparagus Fajitas  (Gluten in the marinade)
     -- Steak Fajitas  (Gluten in the marinade)

   Misc
     -- Black bean relish
     -- Pineapple marinade
     -- Ranchero sauce
     -- Taco dressing
     -- Tequila caramelized onions
     -- French fries (due to potential cross contamination in the fryer oil)
     -- Brownies
     -- Agua negra (marinade for grilled meats)
     -- Kiddie burger (because of the bun)