From:
Dan Mullings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 23:20:22 -0400

I, for two years now was affraid of buckwheat because of the word wheat.
I came across a definition for those new and old commers that dont know the
sourse. I am now going to find some to use.
If there are people who would like to share recipes I'd love to summerize.
ENJOY
Sorry if it took me longer to get.

Buckwheat

Buckwheat, common name for a plant family and for one of its 30 genera.
Members of the genus are not related to the true wheats, which belong to the
grass family (see Grasses).

Common buckwheat is a native of the shores of the Caspian Sea and the region
of the Amur River. It was introduced into western Europe in about the 16th
century. The plant is upright, branched, up to 90 cm (36 in) high. The
leaves are heart-shaped, the flowers white or yellow-white, and the seeds
black and triangular. The seeds are used for livestock and poultry feed and
are ground into flour; the plant is used for forage and for litter. Bees
make a dark, highly flavored honey from the blossoms. Buckwheat flour
contains no gluten and somewhat less protein and somewhat more starch than
wheat.

Tartarian buckwheat, or Indian wheat, the only other species common in
cultivation, is a native of Siberia and is distinguished by the toothed
edges of the seeds and more vigorous growth. Dock, sorrel, and rhubarb are
also members of the buckwheat family.

Scientific classification: Buckwheats make up the family Polygonaceae.
Common buckwheat is classified as Fagopyrum esculentum. Tartarian buckwheat,
or Indian wheat, is classified as Fagopyrum tataricum.

Encarta 98 Desk Encyclopedia © &  1996-97 Microsoft Corporation.
All rights reserved.

Dan & Lynda