From:
Greg Eric <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:32:11 -0500

Today I was diagnosed with TROPICAL sprue
It's a long story, but in 96 I got really sick in Bolivia and have never
been right since. I have been well, on and off, incidentally from the
administration of Flagyl over the period of 6 years on a gluten enriched
diet.

As of today all of my test that have been done are:
Trypsin levels: negative
Amylase: negative
Protease: negative
MRCP: negative
Elastase Stool test (pancreatic insufficiency test European) ; negative
3 abdominal scans : negative
H Pylori: negative
Bacterial Overgrowth: negative
Small Bowel Follow Through: negative
Giardia Antigen 65 : negative
MENS endocrine whacked out stuff: negative
Fecal fat (both quanitive and qualitive): negative
Random colon biopsy ; negative for microscopic
Small bowel biopsy (30 samples by enteroscope) negative (5 pathologist and
2 doctors from 2 completely different organizations)
IgA <7    (2 times)
IgG <5    (2 times)

Here comes the head scratcher:
tTG < 143 1st time and < 220 2nd time as of Jan 20 2001  (tests were 4
months apart on a STRICT gluten free diet)

Can a high tTG antibody be associated with tropical sprue?
If so, I may be on my way to being cured.

I went to Georgetown Medical University and was diagnosed with tropical
sprue today.

I started Flagyl and folic acid today and will remain on it for 3 weeks.
I am praying.

Greg Eric
email me if you want ..... [log in to unmask]