From:
kay ohana <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 1997 06:59:58 -0800

To all you wonderful and loving people who responded to my missive, I am
going to try and answer each of you personally but wanted to bring you
up to date.

1. Professionals have contacted me regarding genetic testing for the
family and my daughters have agreed to be tested as well as myself.  If
the results are positive then I'll go to work on them to get biopsies.
Also the results of the tests will be sent to Cody's Dr. along with CD
information from the research center.  I even gave the center permission
to dig up my dad, if would help.

I think part of the problem with the Dr. is the HMO.  This Dr. is the
only one available that accepts my daughter's HMO plan in her living
area. HMO's open another can of worms for us.

2.  I didn't mean to imply that my daughter deliberately feeds her son
gluten and lactose food.  It's just that I don't feel she is as diligent
as she should be.  For instance, she let Cody eat corn flakes until I
pointed out to her there was malt flavoring in it.  She forgot to screen
Cody's Halloween goodies and he wolfed down the milk chocolates. She
lets him eat things that have "natural flavors" and "vegetable protein"
without knowing their sources. She thinks I'm over protective. I think
she needs to walk in Cody's moccasins as she has forgotten what it feels
like to sit on the pot for a week. She has improved tremendously though
this past year.

3.  Several people suggested I research the archives for info on breast
feeding, which I did, and I referred the info to my granddaughter.  She
has agreed to first, stop eating dairy products for a week or so to see
if the baby's eczema clears up, and if that doesn't do it, try a GF
diet.  I'll let you know the results.

4.  A good number of you suggested that I obtain custody of Cody.  I did
attempt to do just that awhile back.  His mom went into hiding with him
for 5 months and then took him to NM where he stayed with his aunt for 3
months.  Those 8 months have to be the worst time in my life. You must
all realize by now that this little guy is my heart and soul.  My
daughter is now cooperating with Children's Protective Services, has
been substance free for over 5 months, is working and making an honest
attempt to be a good mother to Cody.  And that is the bottom line; not
to deprive Cody of his mother as he adores her, but to educate her and
him so he can have a better quality of life. Our relationship has
improved and she does consult me and brings him to me when she goofs.

5. A number of you suggested I contact my local CD support group.  There
is an excellent one in the area I live however, I have a hard time
getting to the meetings. I am also full time caretaker of my Alzheimer's
mother.  She is in advanced stages of Alzheimer's and cannot be left
alone.  So in order for me to go any place, including grocery shopping,
I have to hire someone to care for her. Ah, life does have it's trials
and tribulations! :)

I'll keep you all posted as to Cody's progress and the results of the
genetic tests on all of us.  I thank all of you for your wonderful
the situation.

Kay