From:
Mike Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2007 06:21:40 -0400

Cynthia asked me to send this to the List.

List members,

Recently the following post was made to this list. I would like to
address it:

In my area there is a gluten intolerance group. They had a doctor speak
the other day. This doctor is supposedly (so he says) celiac, so he is
supposed to be knowledgeable about gluten intolerance. He told the
entire group that it was okay to eat gluten-free for several days then
eat gluten for two days. No wonder many of us don't trust doctors!

As bad as this was, I was pleased to know that the leadership of the
Branch took quick action to inform their members that GIG did not agree
with what this doctor had said AND that they should not be eating any
wheat.

So why would this happen?

GIG and our Branches proactively invite speakers to meetings. Speakers
are screened and (most of the time), we are thrilled to find a doctor
with personal experience with celiac disease. Unfortunately, like all of
us, not all health care professionals keep up with research, nor agree
with the current practice recommendations. So this doctor's comments
came a as a complete shock to everyone attending.

GIG does not condone any use of intentional gluten ingestion for any
reason other than diagnostic purposes and then only under the
supervision of a physician.

GIG sees this unfortunate experience as an opportunity to educate this
physician and others. Through our positive approach to educating the
medical community, we hope this person will not only have up-to-date
knowledge about celiac disease, will become a positive influence with
his/her peers and patients, but will also improve his/her personal
health as a result of meeting with this Branch.

I applaud the GIG Branch Leadership for their proactive role in
providing education and support to consumers and the medical community.

Cynthia Kupper, RD, CD
Executive Director
Gluten Intolerance Group of North AmericaR
31214 - 124 Ave SE, Auburn WA 98092-3667
Phone: 253-833-6655          Fax: 253-833-6675
www.GLUTEN.net
www.GFCO.org
www.GlutenFreeRestaurants.org