From:
Ellen Eagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 1995 20:04:51 -0700

John,
        I've been trying to find a good answer to your question about
your IgE test result, but I've been unable to find all the information in
either my reference books or the lab manual at where I work. However, I
will tell what I have found out and hope that it helps.
        IgE (Ig=immunoblobulin) is that class of antibodies that is
involved with allergic responses. It is present in the blood system in
very small amounts. To quantify it in a definitive measurement, it would
be measured in nanograms per liter (ng/L). A nanogram is 0.000000001 of a
gram. Pretty darn light. Usually IgE, and most other laboratory chemical
tests, are reported in International Units (IU). One IU of IgE is equal
to 2.4 ng/L.
        I was unable to find the definition of kU/L. If I had to make an
educated guess, i would guess that kU/L stands for kiloUnits per Liter or
1000 International Units per Liter. What you need to know is what is the
normal range for that test that the lab reported. Normal values can vary
according to methodology or labs. It would be difficult for anyone to
give an interpretation for a test result without having a normal range
for comparison.
        In the RAST test, normal is Class 1 and below. Our reference lab
rates results in class 0/1, class1, class 2, class 3, class 4, class 5,
and class 6. If you got results in either class 0/1 or class 1, it would
be assumed that you were not allergic to the particular test antigen.
However, an negative result can occur in a sensitized (allergic)
individual who has not been exposed to a particular antigen for a
prolonged period on time.
        I hope this helps a bit.

        Ellen Eagan
        SF, CA