From:
Lynda Swink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 21:27:24 -0800

> What should one say to the server or is
>eating in reteraunts just a bad idea?
>
>Thanks,
>Lissy

I decided to post this to the list as I have found it most helpful:

        In the past if I showed a server my CSA Restaurant Card I have
recieved either ambivilance or panic from the staff.  In one extreme
instance, at Kaplan's in Costa Mesa California, the manager came out and
refused to serve me!  Quote:  "We had someone in here the other day with
one of these cards, and frankly I wouldn't feel comfortable to serve you
anything here."  I proceeded to tell him that I had eaten there before with
no problems, and could he just substitute fresh fruit for the bread offered
with breakfast?"  His answer was:  "NO!"  I never went back.
        Now when I go out I tell the server that I have Celiac Disease, and
tell them that I will order what I can have.  I then tell them what I want
to eat specifying that I do not want any added seasonings, gravies, sauces,
croutons etc.  I carry my own soy sauce, dressings, and bread or rolls with
me.  So far this has worked out best for me, and I have not been poisoned
since.
        In situations where I am in a group (birthdays, company dinners,
etc) and I can't have ANYTHING on the menu (in places like the Spagetti
Factory or Olive Garden for instance), I have packed my own dinner in an
attractive insulated lunch bag and asked for a place setting and water.
Surprisingly, no one has ever raised an eyebrow at this, and I am treated
very well.  ;)

Hope this helps,
Lynda

\*/\*/\*/ Lynda \*/ [log in to unmask] \*/ So. Calif.\*/\*/ _@v