From:
Peter M. Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 09:08:05 EST

Thank you to all who responded so quickly to my flu/cough medicine question!
As always the support of the Gluten Free Community is outstanding.

Results indictated that almost EVERY commercial cough medicine was GF.

I found this news to be wonderful and baffling.  My CSA GLUTEN FREE
COMMERCIAL PRODUCTS LISTING booklet does not list ANY couch medicines, and
only 4 pain relievers.  How can this be?  I also went to the Celiac.com site
and they listed all of four cough medicines, none of which myself or 3 major
pharmacies had ever heard of. Why is this?

     With all the info available to us, the best results I got were from the
people. A few folks recommend I contact STOKES Pharmacy in NJ (info to
follow). There were debates in which Tylenol was GF (Regular or Xtra
Strength...any clarification out there?)  I could not print all of the

    By the way, the fever is gone after 4 days, but the cough and sore throat
persist.

Stay healthy every one...wash your hands and take your vitamins. This flu is
the worst...

SUMMARY -

I had the same thing recently... cough and a high fever
to boot (103 degrees).  My mom called the makers of tylonol
and they said that their extra strength caplets are GF
but many of their other formulas are not.

Mom also uncovered some info in the list archive saying
that robitussin DM is safe.

Did you take Tamiflu caps or use a Relenza inhaler (both prescription
products)?  they are supposed to lessen the severity of symptoms.

Most celiacs have a deficiency  of zinc.   Zinc boosts the immune system and
as a result will  make you feel a lot better  quickly.

Robitussen -- it's  on the gf list.

Why can't you take Tylenol Cold or the other T. meds? Last I heard they were
 gf. I take them regularly - not that one person's experience applies to
 another.

TheraFlu, cold and cough medicine, TheraFlu Mas. Strength Fle, Dold and
 Cough Medicine NightTime,  Triaminic Syrup,  Comtrex Maximum Strength Cold
 and Flu Relief , Comtrex Max strength Day and Night and Non Drowsey.  Hope
 this gets you some relief.  Agnes in Idaho.  These are out of my stokes
 pharmacy gluten free listings.

Sorry, I can't help you with a cough syrup as I have not asked about one but
 you might want to contact Stokes Pharmacy in NJ.  Their phone number is
 1-800-754-5222.

  They publish a book "A Guide Through the Medicine Cabinet" which gives
 information that they have obtained about some common over-the-counter
 drugs.  They state that manufacturers advise them that they do change
 formulas frequently and they suggest that you call the manufacturer to
 confirm the status of any product you are using.  Their book also gives
 manufacturers phone numbers and they list lots of prescription drugs that
 are gluten free and lactose free.  The book was $22. when I purchased it in
 July 1998.  It has 25 pages and is 8" x 11".

For a bad cough, Fisherman's Friend Lozenges works wonders.  They are lozenges
and come in extra strength, regular and mint flavours.  They are gluten free
(per a letter I recieved directly from the company some time back) work for us
every time, with no side effects.

I read on this list that Tussin (over-the-counter) is gluten free.

Thought I would reply to all since it may be something that many are having
 trouble with.  I am a fellow celiac and have gotten this jungle rot
 cold/congestion/flu thing.  What has been so very helpful is the following
 and they are all gluten free!

 Wellness Formula (supports and strengthens the immune system) by Source
 Naturals (locate at any natural food Store)
 Propolis Capsules by Beehive Botanicals (One of natures antibiotics)
 (1-800-Beehive)
 Fenugreek Seed Tea by Alvita (you can drink as much as you want it helps
 pull congestion).  (A Twin Lab Company) (locate at any natural food store)

All of the following are listed as GF in Celiac Sprue a guide through the
medicine cabinet  from Stokes Pharmacy:
 Senokot Syrup & Tablets
 TheraFlu Cold & Cough Medicine
 Triaminic Syrup
 Vicks Dayquil and Nyquil
 Nalcdecon DX &CX
 Scot tussin DM
 Dayquill
 Tuss DM
 Creomulsion

I checked with Perrigo who makes two formulas for WalMart.  Their Equate
brand maximum strength non-aspirin flu gelcaps are GF.  Also, their Equate
brand Tussin cold & cough gelcaps are also GF.  Perrigo did recommend that we
call each time with the code on the box and they would look it up by code to
verify the GF status of each batch.  I would feel safe taking them myself
until I could call, but that is me.  The 800 number for Perrigo is
800-719-9260.  Hope you have access to a Walmart close to where you live.

I made a mix made by simmering juice of two lemons and chopped fresh ginger
 root in about 800 ccs (one US quart) of water.  I used about 1 1/4 inches of
 thick ginger root to the two lemons.  Then I mixed half a mug of the
 lemon-ginger mix and half a mug of water, heated it in the microwave and
 stirred in a spoonful of honey - to taste.  Sipping this hot helps the
 cough, your stomach and has a cheering effect.